How to Install ShareThis’ Tools on an HTML Website
If you are using a CMS/framework, make sure to check our other installation guides and plugins which make the installation process a lot smoother.
In order for ShareThis tools to work on your HTML website, follow the steps below to add your unique ShareThis code to the <head> section of your website:
- Log in or Sign up to the ShareThis Platform.
- Select the ShareThis tool you would like to use and activate it by clicking the Enable tool button.
- Then, you can customize the buttons by selecting your social channels, size, and shape.
- Select the Activate code button in the top right corner. In the pop-up, click the Copy code button.
- Log in to your HTML website.
- Paste the unique ShareThis code that you copied from step 4 into the <head> section of your website.
Note: Sometimes, it may take between 5 to 10 minutes for the Platform to activate your code, but you can also manually activate it by clicking on the Activate Code > Activate button within your verification banner on your ShareThis dashboard.
Adding Inline ShareThis Tools
Inline tools require an extra snippet of code to work on your site. If you would like to install our Inline Share Buttons, Follow Buttons, Reaction Buttons, or Social Feed tools on your website, you will need to add the placement code wherever you want the tool to appear.
- In your ShareThis Platform, select the ShareThis tool you want to use and copy the placement code. Depending on the tool you are installing, the code should look similar to this:
- Navigate to a page on your website (e.g., blog, product, etc) and paste the placement code that you copied from the ShareThis Platform, wherever you want the ShareThis tool to appear.
Note: Some CSS rules or properties (such as the Flex property in containers) may prevent the ShareThis tools from displaying or working properly if they aren’t given enough space.
Even with the available customization options in the Platform, you may choose to take it to the next level using our Custom Share Buttons or to customize the look of the ShareThis’ tools using CSS styles (either to specific parts or using the class of the tool as a whole).