How to Install ShareThis’ Tools using Google Tag Manager
To install ShareThis tools on your website using Google Tag Manager, follow the steps below to add your unique ShareThis installation code to your Google Tag Manager account.
- Log in or Sign up to the ShareThis Platform.
- Select the ShareThis tool you would like to use and click on the Enable tool button to activate it.
- Customize the buttons by selecting your preferred social channels, button size, and shape.
- Click the Activate code button located in the top-right corner. In the pop-up that appears, click the Copy code button.
- If you haven’t installed Google Tag Manager on your website, log in to Google Tag Manager and go to the Admin section.
- On the right-hand side, click on Install Google Tag Manager and follow the instructions.
- Log in to Google Tag Manager and navigate to Tags. Click on New to create a new tag.
- Click on Tag Configuration and select Custom HTML. Paste the ShareThis code into the HTML textbox.
- Click on Triggering and select All Pages to ensure the ShareThis buttons appear on all pages of your website.
- Save your new tag by clicking Save. Here, you can choose to click Preview to preview the changes on your site or click Submit to make the changes live. Fill in the submission details and click Publish.
Since Google Tag Manager inserts the ShareThis script code in the <body> of the site, instead of the <head>, some functionalities of the ShareThis tools may be limited. This includes site verification on the ShareThis Platform and the use of inline tools.
If you would like to install ShareThis tools manually on an HTML site, please check our support guide How to Install ShareThis’ Tools on an HTML Website