How to Migrate from ShareThis Custom Legacy Share Buttons
Signed up for custom share buttons before March 2017? We’ve redesigned our tools which are now faster, more customizable, and mobile-friendly. To migrate over to the new and improved experience, follow the steps below:
Note: If you used our standard share buttons, view our How to Migrate from ShareThis Legacy Buttons support page instead.
- Log in or Sign up to the ShareThis Platform.
- Select the Activate code button in the top right corner. In the pop-up, click the Copy code button.
- Login to your HTML website.
- Remove the old ShareThis code from your website, which is most likely located between your <head> tags. The code will look similar to this:
- Paste the unique ShareThis code that you copied from step 2 into the <head> section of your website.
Updating Placement Code for Inline Tools
Inline share buttons require an extra snippet of code to work on your site. For our legacy share buttons, you would specify which social channel was activated by adding a class. We’ve migrated from classes to modern data-attributes in order to define how the custom code behaves. Follow the steps below to update your placement code:
- Remove the old share buttons placement code, which is normally located in the <body> of your website. The code should look similar to this:
- Now you will need to update the HTML and CSS for your custom share buttons, please go to our support article: How to Create Custom Share Buttons for the next steps.