How to Migrate from ShareThis Legacy Buttons
Signed up for ShareThis tools before March 2017? We’ve redesigned our tools which are now faster, more customizable, and mobile-friendly. To migrate over to the new and improved experience, follow the steps below:
- Log in to your ShareThis platform account. If you don’t have a ShareThis account, sign up for free here.
- Select the ShareThis tool you would like to use and activate it by clicking the Enable tool button.
- Then, customize the buttons by selecting your social channels, size, shape, and more.
- Select the Activate code button in the top right corner. In the pop-up, click the Copy code button.
- Login to your HTML website.
- Remove the old ShareThis code from your website, which is most likely located between your <head> tags. The code will look similar to this:
- Note: To find the code easily, search for “buttons.js”
- Paste the unique ShareThis code that you copied from step 4 into the header section of your website.
Updating Placement Code for Inline ShareThis Tools
Inline tools require an extra snippet of code to work on your site. If you’re using our inline share buttons or follow buttons on your website, you will need to add placement code wherever you want the tool to appear.
- In your ShareThis platform, select the ShareThis tool you want to use and copy the placement code. The code should look similar to this:
- Remove the old placement code, which is normally located in the <body> your website. The code should look similar to this:
<span class="st_twitter_large" displayText="Tweet"></span><span class="st_facebook_large" displayText="Facebook"></span><span class="st_linkedin_large" displayText="LinkedIn"></span><span class="st_googleplus_large" displayText="Google+"></span><span class="st_email_large" displayText="Email"></span><span class="st_sharethis_large" displayText="ShareThis"></span>
- Note: To find the code easily, search for “st_facebook”
- Replace the old placement code with the code that you copied from step 1.
Need help? Get in touch with us at email@example.com